Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Wednesday # 21 - Goodbye Seniors

Hey there everyone! I'm sad... and I'm happy at the same time. As some of you may know, I am a junior in high school, but as of today, I'm what's known as a Rising Senior, meaning that I'm still a junior, but now that the seniors have left, I'm suddenly required to be responsible and lazy at the same time. Now, before I talk about the whole "me being a senior" thing, I want to say something to the class of 2014, many of whom are close friends of mine, that I will now see very rarely, if not ever, again:

Bye.

     All kidding aside, I do have something I want to say to them. Senior class of 2014, I am now talking directly to you:
     I have spent the past 11 years of school near most of you guys, ever since I entered public schooling. Did I know all of you then? Of course not, but as time went by, I began to meet more and more of you. Some, I knew from Boy Scouts or sitting at football games, while our sisters played in the same marching band we'd spend 3 years playing in together, and some I met mere months ago, but still, you all have affected my life somehow. Whether it was teaching me, leading me, talking to me (or not talking to me), or simply setting a standard to meet, you have been such an amazing group of people to come to know. 
     It's going to be hard next year, since I was friends with so many of you, and in fact, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I actually made more friends with the year ahead of me than my own yearmates during both freshman and sophomore year. Of the people who walk the halls of our school for the next year, I will feel your absence the most. Now that you're gone, I won't have people to reminisce about Philmont with, or talk Tolkien on the early morning ride to school. I won't have someone to beat box with, or argue Batman with, or discuss the intricacies of Dungeons and Dragons with. You have all meant so much to me, and have taught me so much, whether you know it or not. I hope I can be even half of what you have been to me to the classes after me. 
     Whether your legacy is written on the wall, preserved in a joke, held in a memory, or kept in a picture somewhere, some part of you will stick around the school, and people that never knew you, and never will know you, will be touched by all that you have done for our school somehow. As far as I go, your legacy shall not be forgotten.
     I'll miss you guys so much. Good luck in all that you do, and remember Hawks: you're a Hawk, and no one can take that from you.

WOOO!!
     THEY'RE GONE! Sure, I'm sad that they're leaving, if you couldn't already tell, but I'm finally a senior! I'm not one for the whole seniority crap that can go on in high school, but there are some perks that goes with being a senior, like... okay, there really aren't any that aren't forms of seniority, but I finally get to show to people how great I can be, no more shadow covering me up! It's my turn to leave a legacy, my time to go out with a bang! I'm incredibly nervous for senior year, but I'm so excited too. It's gonna be a good one, I can feel it.

He Chanted a Song of Wizardry
by J.R.R. Tolkien
He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying
Sang in answer a song of staying,
Resisting, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
Of changing and of shifting shape
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.
    Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
And all the magic and might he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighing of the Sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
    Then the gloom gathered; darkness growing
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn —-
    And Finrod fell before the throne
"Change is inevitable; growth is optional" -Eric Trio

No comments:

Post a Comment