Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wednesday #30 - I've Started Something...

Hey guys! How's everybody been! I haven't talked to you guys in so long! like, two weeks! I missed you last week, while I was climbing walls, pounding metal, and running around a campfire pit.
I'll explain. Last week, I was at Boy Scout Camp (which is why I had Claire post something), and while there, I spent time taking the Metal Working merit badge, the Search and Rescue merit badge, and the Climbing merit badge. In metal working, I got to be a blacksmith, heating up steel, and then shaping it with a hammer, a vice, and occasionally my hands. Then came Search and Rescue, which was largely things I kinda already knew, because I like knowing my first aid, so I spent the first two days of that class knowing all the answers, and got to sit back and watch other people answer... and the teacher that I had was pretty bad too. He would challenge my answers, when I knew that they were right (which is a good practice when teaching someone first aid, because they need to both know the right thing to do, and be confident about what it is that they are doing), but he would take it too far. I would say that I was sure of my answer, and he would continue to ask me if I was sure. It turns out that I wasn't the only one who thought that this man was a terrible (and technically, under-qualified) teacher; he was fired on Tuesday night, because apparently, two Troops had said that he was so terrible that they weren't going to return to the camp the following year, and this elicited the response of you're fired.
Despite the fact that it was someone else's misfortune, I was a little elated to hear that he was no longer our teacher. And the guy who replaced him was fantastic. So, hey, all's well that ends well. But now we get to climbing merit badge, where I struggled greatly. In fact, I didn't complete any of the three climbs necessary until Friday, the very last day. But, with some luck, a popped hand blister, and a miracle, I was able to climb three times in under an hour and a half. Pretty cool, right? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Anyway, the other thing that I wanted to talk about this week, is that I've started vlogging, and I have a Youtube channel where I'm putting them, so if you want to watch them, check it out here:  My vlogging channel.
Well guys, that's all. I'll see you next week, or if you check out my vlogs, who knows, maybe I'll see you tomorrow...
A Time to Talk
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, 'What is it?'
No, not as there is a time talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.
- Robert Frost
"A good leader can't get too far ahead of his followers." - FDR

No comments:

Post a Comment