Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Wednesday #2 - Knocking Signatures

Hello, and Welcome to Finals Week (for my school)(I know, why have finals after the winter break?)!
      Today, I'd like to address a problem I constantly run into: the severe lack of people who still knock on doors. If this is you, it's fine, and I forgive on one condition: you start knocking on doors again. Door knocking was a societal practice developed to inform any occupants of a room with a closed door that someone wishes to enter, and that if the occupants (if there are any) wish to not be intruded upon, they may inform the person. This practice is typically used on bathrooms, private offices, dressing rooms, bedrooms, households that are not your own. Really, it's for any room where someone might be disrobing. The word will be better if we all agree to take up knocking again.
     I know that that was kinda harsh, but I've had that on my mind for a while now. Moving on to the next thing I wanted to mention: crowded hallways. I'm not going into depth with this, but have you ever thought that the people in the hallway are like those two men from the Dr. Seuss story who wouldn't get out of the others way? One was heading one direction, and the other was heading the exact opposite, and neither one would take a step in any direction but the one they were going, and this reminds me so much of a lot of people in my school's hallway (these people will remain nameless).
     So, I was thinking recently about how people find signatures valuable. Just to clarify, I don't mean the signature you put on the permission slip to go on the school trip, I mean the signatures of fairly famous people in history like Abraham Lincoln or JFK. I'm a little confused about this, because all a signature is is some ink arranged in a specific pattern. I understand why they're valuable, because someone significant who is also dead signature become valuable, because there is now a limited amount of them on the planet, and there are wealthy collectors who will spend money to acquire the signature. But I can't help but feel like there's a great way to make money off of this for the future generations of a family lineage. Say President Obama were to write 10 copies of his signature. He then leaves them in his will, and in 100 years his descendants can sell them (because regardless of your opinion of the Obama Administration, he is the first black president, therefore immediately making him significant to American History). Because of this, I will sign 10 pieces of paper and hold onto them, that way if I become a significant historical figure, my descendants can get some cash. Now that's a far reaching retirement plan.
     Baby, it's cold outside! It snowed on Thursday and Friday, got warm enough for the snow to melt a bit, and then Monday night, all of endothermic hell broke loose as the temperature dropped to 3 degrees Fahrenheit. But that's not all. When you factored in windchill, the outside temperature felt like -19 degrees Fahrenheit. And we had to go to school... Don't get me wrong, I love school and all, but when it's -19 outside, you shouldn't be sending kids to school.

Thursday as the snow began to stick
     Well, that's about all I have to say this week. Make sure to leave a comment below on your thoughts about what I talked about this week, and make it something we talked about this week (see what I did there?), and don't forget to follow me and share this with your friends! I now end this post with a poem and a quote. See you next week!
Cold
As I try to write this down
My fingers shiver and shake
My face a frozen frown
No speed does my blood make
My pen is frozen solid
And with it is the ink
And like the pen is my brain
So cold it can barely think...
"You cannot move into the future without first knowing the past!" -Shun Kazama, From Up On Poppy Hill (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment