Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wednesday #4 - The Year When Nothing Happens

     Hello everyone! It's Wednesday! And you know exactly what that means! Welcome all to Wednesday #4, thanks for coming, glad you could make it. Folks, we're gonna get serious here this week, so I want everyone to put on their serious caps... and then look yourself in the mirror and question why you even own a serious hat. You really do need to lighten up, man.
     I propose that the 20th year of age is the most forgotten, ignored, uneventful year of life. While many of you who know me personally will most likely say "How do know, JD? You're not 20.", all I have to say is "Poppycock, I've got eyes that see, ears that hear, and a chunk of nerve tissue in between them!" Now, if you're as old as/older than 20, answer me this: what's a funny or awesome story that you have from your 20th year? If you have one, leave it in the comments below. If not, it's okay, in my experience nobody has one. If you're younger than 20 (but older than 13, because otherwise you shouldn't be surfing the web without a parents permission and supervision you non 90s child!), can you recall a funny or awesome or dare I say legendary story from a ≥20 year old, relay it in the comments below. However, I doubt that there will be any comments of that nature in the comments. But, I want to explain why I think this. I believe this to be the truth because of the chronological location of 20 in regard to the legislation of the United States of America. When you turn 18, you're allowed to purchase cigarettes, view explicit material, fight in a war, vote for government officials, and be tried as an adult. Not to mention you get to go to college for the first time if that's your life path like most of the demographic that reads this! that's all great, but let's look at what happens three years down the line.
     At the age of 21, you're able to purchase and legally consume alcohol (not sure why you would, but that's a subject for a different week), and the dating world of the bar scene opens up to you (I'm seriously convinced that my generation will frequent pubs and look for the loves of their lives in them due to HIMYM)! In addition, you get a full license, and you're treated more like an adult than 18, 19, and 20 year-olds.
     All of these are wonderful, but they are only applicable at the end of the 20th year, which means it's an entire year spent in waiting for the next year, with nothing for it in the meantime. 20 is the year of being a junior in college (if you follow the assumed age range for different years of school) and as we all know from high school, junior is merely an intermediate phase, something you just have to get through. Every college you apply to is looking at the junior year, putting such pressure on it, while there's not much in the way of fun happening for it. And in college, you've been there for two years already, so everyone expects you to be a truly mature and responsible adult and student. 
     Well, I've exhausted topics for this week, but that doesn't mean we have to stop talking! That's right, you can leave a comment below and keep the thoughts flowing! But that's not all you can do in the comments. If you feel so inclined, you can leave things you might want me to talk about, or questions you might have about anything really. There are definitely questions I'm not qualified to answer, but I'll still give it my best shot.
     That's all folks! See everybody next week!
The Trees

The forest lies in rest
Silence wafting like fog
Hiding trees and concealing logs

It sweeps over me
A sends me to reprieve
Where something happened you'll never believe

The trees whispered to me
Told of all the thing they've learned
Of time, of life, of the feeling of being burned

I just lay there, quietly
Hearing every word they spoke
Till I filled with wisdom from willow and oak

The lessons I was taught
Were teachings we had lost
Like trees lose leaves with frost

But I'll never forget them
As long as I shall live
Sharing all I have to give

There is not way to say it
In our mortal speech
But in the voice of a smooth barked beech

But what I know now
Is to always try to grow
And forget to do so

Plants your roots deep
But climb towards the sky
Up to the sun on high

Branch out far and wide
Spread your shade for others to rest
Make limbs strong for birds to nest

I give this now to you
The one who reads my words
So that you might be assured.
"The four saddest words in the English language "What might have been.""- Norman Crosby

2 comments:

  1. The reason we do not often mention the 20th year of our existence is not because we are then mature, but rather we find ourselves pushed into adult hood. We now, for the second time, have a zero at the end of the number that is our age. Unlike 10 or 30, however, it is a change. A change from a teenager to an actual adult. Now, you may say that 18 is when you're an adult, but for two more years that adolescent "teen" is still hitching a ride on the end. At 20, adulthood is being forced upon you, and you make the decision to either accept it or deny it. At the same time, people you have known your whole life are fining their loves, getting married, and even having kids. You may not be ready, but at 20, you have no choice, because you cant pretend you're a kid anymore. You just want to now fit into the clique that is adulthood, and to do that, you sacrifice the ability to appear childish, along with your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can easily see that being the case. I won't know for certain until my 21st birthday.

      Delete