Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wednesday #8 - Gold Standard

     Hello everybody! It's the day in the middle of the American work week, and you know what that means... Well, since we all seem to know it, there really isn't a need to say it.
Value: Gold Standards
     Why do we value gold and diamonds? Honestly, why?
     Sure, these items are attractive looking (after they've been cut, shaped, altered, and polished), but is that the only reason why we value them? If that's the case, then how come things like polished steel isn't selling for thousands of dollars per pound?
     Historically, it was because we as humans found it difficult to find things like gold and diamonds, thus giving it a limited supply. Through the model of supply and demand economics, the lower supply with a high demand results in a high price. But without that high demand, gold isn't worth itself in it's own weight.
     It could very well be because of what you can do with gold that makes it valuable. It's highly malleable and ductile, so it can be shaped and crafted into any assortment of items, from jewelry to coins to intricate wire systems. Without question, gold has it's practical uses (but don't use it as a sword), so it can be understood why we value gold. If something can be efficiently and effectively, there's no doubt that the opportunistic human with want it and value it. But that means we should value water much more than we do, or fire, or iron. However, you never got "copper stars" or "tin stars" for doing something good in daycare, but a "gold star".
     Obviously, there's more to talk about here than can be said in one blog post, or at 2200 after a full 14 hour day with 4 hours of sleep, and I want to do this topic justice. So, I won't be finishing this, but will instead be extended this topic into other posts, (I can't guarantee that it'll be next week, but we'll definitely revisit this topic in full).
     That's all that I'm able to write about this week with a back that wants to escape and a sleep deprived mind (happy Vibes 2 and 3? there's your personal life stuff)(yes, I just spoke to specific people in a cryptic manor, that just happened)(here's another one: Burph)(sorry, getting off-topic), so I'm going to call this post to a close. To make up for this post's shortened length, I will probably (no promises) post something else in between now and next Wednesday, so be on the look out for that.
     Last thing I wanted to say before I said good bye for now was check out my film company, called The Collective. Here are some links to videos:
At The Desk
Soda Credits
Sandwich
That's all for this week, I'm going to go pass out.


With My Last

JD Galuardi

I must ne’er drop my life
And let others take hold
To have it ruled by others
And blindly do as I’m told.
To have “leaders” and “commanders”
Use me as if I’m a tool,
And to toss me and discard me,
When I’ve no more thread on my spool.

To be controlled and manipulated
To have not a say at all
To have my will stripped from me
And to be left where it is I last fall

This fate I shall reject and deny!
And rebuke such a dismal end
Ne’er fall victim and slave
To those whom call me “friend”

Never to lose freewill
Or let creativity escape me
To keep a grasp on my mind
And reject who tries to control me

I shall, in the field of my mind,
A place beautiful and free
Where I can swim the widest river
And climb the tallest tree

There, I shall make a stand
And save my will from capture
I will defend mine and my peers
Protect their mind’s pastures

And if, I should in fact fail
And lose to those in the dark
Before I go and vanish
I shall make and leave my mark

It will be a sign of freedom
And one of freewill
It will set fire in hearts
And make the world go still

To stop and think and see
See what they must do
To free themselves eternal
Be they Muslim, Christian, or Jew

For aren’t we all humans,
All of a similar design?
Weren’t we all made by a god?
Or rose out of sea and brine?

And so I will ask you this
Before you rest this night,
Though all of us are kin,
Why do we still fight?

"There's no such things as ladies, there are just womens." -Small Child in Bean & Bagels

No comments:

Post a Comment