Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday #14 - HIMYM Finale

     Hey Dreamers! How's it going? So... a lot happened this week, didn't it? Maybe not for everyone, but for me at least, that's the case. How I Met Your Mother premiered its series finale, so that's over. Mother Nature threw a hissy fit on Sunday, while I was trying to deliver several hundred bags of mulch to people. The percussion ensemble I was in went to Championships on Saturday (we got 5th out of 5...). The last term of this school year started on Monday. I got introduced to chinchillas. Several relationships that my friends had found terminus in the past week. Oh, and my grandfather turns 87 today. Happy Birthday Grandpa!
     It was one of those weeks that makes it feel like nothing in your life stayed the same. Sure, I'm still writing for the same old blog, on the same keyboard, at the same desk, in the same room. I'm seeing everything through the same glasses, with the same eyes.
     But everything feels different.
     Normally, I'd spend my entire night working on homework, wondering how on earth am I going to get everything done in time for their due dates, but not tonight. Normally, I listening to Rhett & Link shoot the breeze about anything while I read some book for AP Lang, but not tonight.
     Tonight I'm sitting at the same old desk, in the same old room, with the same computer and keyboard, but it couldn't be anymore different. I feel older, almost like I'm the clinging remains of a bygone era. I'm one of the last relics of a time when writing blogs was a cool thing, when reading books wasn't stupid. I'm the dying breed of the rare Experiencer. Most people walk about in their hum-drum lives, going from point A to point B, and typically, I fit that mold (unfortunately). Tonight, though, something's different.
     Sure, it could simply be that I'm just being introspective over the ending of things, in that gray area between the end of the old and the beginning of the new (okay, to the person that I said smelled really good today, I just somehow smelt you out of nowhere), but it could also very well be that I've changed, and (I hope) for the better.
     I realize this may be a huge reaction to a show ending that I only started watching in... maybe 2011? and even then, just old episodes, but it was such a major part (major part) of my life, and now it's vanished. Not only that, but now everyone I talk to seems to decry the show, angered and enraged even at the series finale.
     There isn't really much I can say, for spoilers sake, and for your sake, Dreamers, except that I'm just going to remember the big thing that HIMYM taught us: Life is full of unexpected turns, and you never really know where it's taking you. All you can do is make every night legend-waitforit-dary, go where you can (because when in Rome, make like the Romans), do something you love, find someone to love, and never forget the big moments, be it weddings, funerals, births, or rainy nights with a blue French horn, because it's all leading up to something, one fateful day, one destiny-driven train wreck of a night, one... something.
     I guess, this is good-bye, How I Met Your Mother. Thank you for all that you taught me, all the jokes you told, the crappy days turned good, that awesome apartment just above a cool bar... Thank you for everything. I'll miss you, and I cannot believe I went this entire post without spoiling anything. Strange...
It's Been Fun

All those days
Of practiced plays
And hours spent in the sun
Problems and tests
All doing our best
But now those days are done
The chattering halls
The rises and falls
It really was a good run
The battles of old
Their stories retold
Of those days that were won
The ties and strings
The memory clings
From the day when we begun
We've traveled so long
To many a song
And I have to say, it's been fun. 

"And that kids, is how I met you mother." -Theodore Evelynn Mosby, How I Met Your Mother 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment